Fourth Annual Purple Day®️ For Epilepsy Awareness Around The World and Expo
8:15 am – 12:00 pm | Magical Morning
- 8:15am - 9:45am - Check In
- 8:30am - 10:00am - Breakfast Buffet
- 10:00am - Program Starts
- Welcome Message - Debra Josephs, The Anita Kaufmann Foundation; David Manchon, The Epilepsy Association of Central Florida; Cassidy Megan, Purple Day® Founder
Sail For Epilepsy: Take One More Step, Live a Fuller Life - Phil Haydon, president of Sail For Epilepsy, is fortunate to have his post-traumatic epilepsy medically controlled for over 40 years. He currently runs an active laboratory researching a range of neurological disorders, including epilepsy, as the Chair of the Department of Neurosciences at Tufts University School of Medicine, in Boston. Now, Phil’s on a mission to inspire people affected by epilepsy to take One More Step towards living a fuller life, with the necessary safety measures in place. Learn about his journey as he sails the oceans of the world.
Protecting Kids With Epilepsy - Discussion of the Danny Did Foundation’s programs designed to raise awareness and education for SUDEP and seizure detection devices - Katie Gaughan, as the Danny Did Programs Manager, Katie has the role to make a direct impact on families who reach out in need. Her career has included time as a paramedic, where she gained experience in treating those who had suffered a seizure. Prior to working at Danny Did, Katie was a long-time volunteer for the organization, and she serves on its Associate Board. As a former neighbor to the Stantons, she held a special friendship with Danny. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- The Power of the Arts in Breaking Epilepsy Stigmas - Mariah Mayhugh, an epilepsy warrior who uses the arts and her platform as Miss El Paso County 2023 to destigmatize epilepsy. Award winning author of "Mimi: A Story About Absence Seizures" and performer, she has dedicated her dance entitled "Transformation" to her epilepsy journey. She aims to be the epilepsy role model to young kids and teens that she wished she had growing up.
CURE Epilepsy’s Research & Response to the Rare Epilepsy Community - As Senior Manager of Partnerships and Programs, Brandon Laughlin, MSE, is responsible for the development and oversight of CURE Epilepsy educational programming, including research webinars, community CARES events, Treatment Talks on social media, and semi-annual impact reports. As a result, he also works closely with all CURE Epilepsy corporate partners to identify partnership opportunities and cultivate relationships.
Lyrical Ribbon Dancing by Mariah Mayhugh
Get Your Purple On! : Earn a chance to win a $250 CASH prize by wearing your most outrageous purple outfit and entering our PURPLE COSTUME CONTEST! Sponsored by UCB, Inc.
12:00 pm - 5:00 pm | EXPO, Fun activities & Information Sessions
- 12:00pm - Open Expo - Learn from experts in the epilepsy community as they share insights and information, along with local and national service organizations and members of industry.
Introduction to VNS Therapy®” presented by Elizabeth Wedberg, RN MSN, ACNS-BC, CNRN,
Seton Brain & Spine institute Neurology l Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
Elizabeth lives in Austin, Texas with her husband. She is a board-certified adult health clinical nurse specialist who has been with the Seton Healthcare Family since 2007. After receiving a B.A in Psychology from Austin College, she completed a Master of Science in Nursing at U.T. Austin
“Cannabis Based Products: 5 Things You Need to Know” presented by Dr. Catherine Passariello, a Senior Medical Science Liaison for the global leader in cannabinoid-based medicines, Jazz Pharmaceuticals (previously Greenwich Biosciences - US subsidiary of GW Pharmaceuticals).
- 2:00pm - 4:00 pm - Mickey & Minnie - Meet, Greet, and Photo
- 4:00 pm - 5:00pm - Group Photo With Mickey & Minnie & Special Disney Treat